Keep reading for information on many amazing opportunities
· Senior Updates and Scholarships with deadlines coming up in May
· Underclassmen (9-11) Summer Opportunities.
Please check your emails EVERY DAY.
There are several surveys that have been sent or will be sent via email that MUST be completed to be cleared to pick up your cap and gown for graduation.
1. Scholarship Survey (https://forms.gle/SkuXSXw6VtgVeuKb8)
2. Reef Alumni Network (https://forms.gle/vAVJAjM6PS72Z53NA)
3. SCOIR Update (Coming Soon)
Did you miss the CAP Office’s series on Money Matters? No worries – I have a link with all the recordings just for you. Click Here
· Your Award Letter – Review Evaluate Appeal
· Financial Aid 101 Putting the Financial Aid Puzzle Pieces Together
· To Borrow or Not To Borrow – Understanding Loans
· Seeking Scholarships – How to Maximize Scholarship Dollars
· Budgeting for College
MDCPS Christian Burgos “Hero” Scholarship
This scholarship is in the amount of $2,000.
Scholarships will be awarded based on academic performance, demonstration of an act of heroism, integrity, financial need, and community service.
One scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior from among the traditional high schools in Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS).
The applicant must:
· have a minimum 2.0 unweighted GPA
· have demonstrated an exceptional act of heroism during their life, defined as putting others first, even at their own peril
· be admired for their courage, bravery, or noble qualities
· have demonstrated personal sacrifice in achieving their personal goals
· have demonstrated service to their school and/or the community
· plan to pursue a degree at an accredited college, university or M-DCPS certified technical college
Informational Flyer – Click Here
Application Click Here
The Louie Bing Athletic Scholarship – Specifically for Track & Field athletes who have NOT BEEN RECRUITED and are not attending college on an athletic scholarship (click here for more information and application)
The John H. Peavy Jr. Scholarship (click here for more information and application)
The Clyde H. Jordan Scholarship – open to seniors who plan to major in a STEM area (click here for more information and application)
The National Conference of Puerto Rican Women Scholarship (NACOPRW)
Deadline EXTENDED through May 13
NACOPRW Miami is proud to carry on the tradition of assisting Puerto Rican women in completing their higher education programs through the NACOPRW Miami Scholarship Program.
Eligibility: The program is available to female high school seniors who will be entering their first year of college as undergraduates. In addition, they must meet the following criteria:
· Native or descendant of Puerto Rican parent(s) or grandparent(s)
· Must have a minimum GPA of 3.8
· Demonstrated potential for outstanding academic achievement
· Evidence of unmet financial need
Scholarships of $1,000 are awarded to qualified students.
Apply Here: https://forms.gle/3bw5VHevxdVmjTvX8
Iota Pi Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
Deadline EXTENDED through May 5
For more information and application, click here
UNDERCLASSMEN (9-11TH grades)
Its that time of year when you may start to receive unsolicited communications (emails, calls, regular mail, etc) regarding your post-secondary plans, offering eligibility for services and support for a fee. Please make sure you thoroughly research these organizations. Some of them are just trying to get $$$ and will charge you and your family unnecessarily.
Florida International University
Switch on Math and Science
· June 19th – June 25th
· On campus
· Seven-day residential academic program for current 9th graders that aim to increase awareness of the educational and career opportunities available in the fields of science, while fostering academic, personal and career development through supplemental instruction.
· Application Due: Friday, May 27th
Information and Application: https://files.constantcontact.com/ec8f430a201/e7c05aea-a433-4a5b-857f-739398c60488.pdf
Florida International University
Partners In Progress I
· July 5th – July 29th
· Four-week academic program for current 10th graders who aim to increase their SAT scores through intensive workshops and weekly practice testing. Students will also attend presentations hosted by FIU departments.
· Application Due: Friday, May 27th
Information and Application: https://files.constantcontact.com/ec8f430a201/02232594-f43b-43b5-bcd2-2571496d8e00.pdf
Miami Dade College BIT Center Camps
This summer, Miami Dade College’s (MDC) Business Innovation & Technology (BIT) Center will offer 3 Summer Camps for high school students from June 13th to July 1st. The camps will be available virtually and in person at the BIT Center, located at MDC Wolfson Campus in downtown Miami.
*NOTE – They are seeking 75 rising High School Juniors or Seniors – to attend one camp (in person) for free. There will be a 15min. phone interview with the parent and the student to be considered for this financial award; the purpose is to confirm a verbal commitment that the student will attend the camp all week.
Information Link: https://www.mdc.edu/bitcenter/programs-and-courses/summer-camps/
Camp Pre-Registration Link: https://forms.office.com/r/ec5mSypgUJ
LEAD Summer Programs
LEAD has been serving a diverse population of scholars, with over 25,000 alumni members since 1980. We proudly celebrate over 41 years of providing high school scholars with exposure to some of the top colleges and universities within the country.
Our Global Summer Learning Institute (GSLI) Program offers a three-week immersive learning experience to rising high school seniors (current juniors expected to graduate in 2023) beginning virtually for the first week, followed by two weeks of residential learning with participating host institutions starting Monday, June 20th. In spite of COVID-19, we’re working closely with our host institutions to ensure that safety protocols are put into place to protect the scholars during their visit on-campus. We’ve recently opened the application back up for a limited time.
· Virtual Masterclasses: Starting June 20th – June 24th
· Residential: Starting June 27th – July 8th (w/Tentative Departure Date)
An ideal candidate for the LEAD GSLI will be a well-rounded rising senior who exhibits an interest in exploring and advancing their knowledge within a diverse community. During their three weeks, LEAD Scholars will learn about business education, careers and functions, the role of business in society, and what it takes to be a successful business leader. This includes the cohorts who will be exposed to the business of medicine, public health, and engineering. The virtual classroom sessions will include experiential exercises designed to develop leadership skills and teach scholars about the world of Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Technology. As well as attending MasterClasses for all our participating institutes.
During the residential experience, the curriculum is coordinated by the host Institution faculty and staff and allows scholars to connect with successful career professionals.
Adelphi University is excited to share with you our fourth annual Hispanic Community Partnership Program — at no cost to high school participants!
Designed to give Hispanic high school students the tools and resources they need to pursue a college education with confidence, this year’s college readiness program will be offered both virtually and in-person:
· July 18–22: virtual for five days, two hours each day
· July 27–31: in-person (on-campus) for five days, four nights—participants will have the opportunity to stay in one of our residence halls
Sample workshops include:
· Navigating the College Application Process
· Financial Literacy for Higher Education
· College Application Essay Writing
· The Importance of Mentoring
· Overcoming Adversity
If you would like to be nominated for this program, please let me know by Friday, May 6. However, you are able to “self-nominate” if you’d like.
The Cooper Union is committed to academic excellence in all of our pursuits, even over summer break. This summer we are offering a combination of in-person and online pre-college summer courses. Learn more and register using the links below!
Introduction to Architecture
Summer Art Intensive
Summer Writing Program
Florida Atlantic University
I-Deep Learn Summer Workshop (FREE week-long camp for female students) July 11-15; 8:30am-4:30pm daily
We are excited to be able to offer the following summer camp for rising 10th, 11th, and 12th grade FEMALE students. This is a NSF grant funded camp so it is FREE to students
I-DeepLearn Summer Workshop (Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence & Deep Learning/Artificial Intelligence processing)
Professor: Behnaz Ghoraani, Ph.D.
July 11-15, 2022
Method: In-person: Boca Raton campus
Cost: Free (NSF grant funded)
Who: Open to rising female 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students?